Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My rant for Wednesday

Ok this is it today is the day. If I go through with it I will go to my first Elks Meeting tonight at the lodge ever since the new administration took over. I am not happy with the new administration they have driven out two loyal groups, one that is a charitable organization, and they just smile and say we are making TONS of money. Yet when you drive by there on the weekends at night its closed completely black. Ok Ok release this is part of my forgiveness journey. I will not volunteer for them (heck I learned that lesson never again) but I will go to occasional meetings.

On another serious note the fate of daytime soaps is changing and I wish it was for the better. Let me start by saying I am a loyal ABC Daytime soap fan. I have watched all 3 soaps well since the 70's - yes I said the 70's! I love my soaps, I have gone (a few times) to ABC Soap Weekends. Now the economy is making the soap world as we know it a thing some of vets are sad about. All My Children announced a while back that they will relocate their studios from NYC to wait for it California! Now some of us fans have been having a problem with ABC President for hiring Pratts as the Head writer for AMC - why you ask? Well because he has totally screwed up the writing in the last 2 years. He has messed up characters, had stupid story lines that were not just too long but ever so boring. Oh as if that was not bad enough he killed off a beloved character!! OMG and for what? For a stupid stupid stupid murder that turned out to be way too long and then the "trial" was like a 5 minute trial. Ok hello by the time we got to the trial we just did not care anymore. Fans have been vocal in how unhappy we were and ABC President Frons looked like he was ignoring we certainly know Pratts didn't care what fans thought. SO then we go into a recession and soap veterans are asked to take a reduction in salary. Ok some do! Alright this is good. But the bad writing continues. Then the move is announced and we learn some of our characters will not be making the move from NYC to LA. Oh dear Lord please say it isn't so. But then another announcement is made Pratts has been FIRED! Yes he will NOT be making the move. Thank God! But now who the heck is going to clean up the mess he has made. I do not know but whoever it is will have a hard time. It will not be over night and there will be some moans and groans (yes most likely from me too) but I can only hope it will save the show.

I say save because rumors have been circulating that the reason for this move is to save AMC from being cancelled however the rumors includes that One Life To Live is in danger. Ok as far as writing OLTL is doing much better. Ok some stories are better then others but some have been pretty good. In listening to a podcast of some savvy industry insiders it has been said (within the small circle) that the AMC will not get cancelled until they at least make their money back from this move and OLTL will be in serious danger. It is also predicted that within the next 5 to 10 years daytime will be limited to maybe one Daytime soap and then talk shows. Dear God what has the world turned to where a little sex, drugs, baby switching, paternity test stories are no longer the norm?

Stay Tune

No comments: