Sunday, September 30, 2012

Homemade Hot Sauce

Well a challenge was set by the man to get him a hot sauce that is worthy of his picky palate. To know the man is to know that he truly likes it hot on many levels all high and never low. So I decided well the only true way to get it to burn is to make it at home. This would only be for him because well fire in my mouth is not my cup of tea. Well I came across a recipe and decided to make it and I am happy to say it was a success!

Here is the recipe:


Garlic Habanero Hot Sauce Recipe

Ingredients
  • 2 cups habanero peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup water
  • 4 cups white vinegar
  • 20 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 8 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup lime juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Cooking Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Set habanero peppers on a baking sheet and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
  3. Roast in the oven 12-15 minutes or until soft and skins begin to blister.
  4. Heat a large pot to medium and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes, or until onion and garlic soften.
  5. Add roasted habanero peppers and simmer about 5 minutes.
  6. Transfer mixture to a food processor and puree until smooth. Alternatively, use an immersion blender and puree directly in the pot.
  7. Simmer another 5-10 minutes.
  8. Serve, or seal into sterilized bottles to allow flavors to truly develop.
The only items I changed was the sugar. Instead of sugar I used Agate Nectar which is a healthy sugar substitute. It is in a liquid version and we found it worked very well. I also did not add the salt since low sodium is always in order.  

I found it easy to make so I will most definitely be making it again. Now in order to test the taste I decided to make monster mutant burgers. The burgers were stuffed with ricotta cheese, fresh oregano and some basil. To top my burger I put Guacamole while the man used the sauce as his burger sauce. Both sauces were great! 

Try it and let me know!
  

No comments: